Mob engagement bug

Report any found bug!
Azby
Hen

Mob engagement bug

Post by Azby »

Bug occurs when you click on a mob (aggressive or not) to attack it (after which your character moves towards the mob to engage it), then click away (or use arrow keys) to cancel the movement before your character reaches the mob and hits it. After this you are free to move, but if you come within one non-diagonal square of the mob (via arrow keys OR automated path-finding when you click to move somewhere else), your character will stop and engage the mob in combat, even without having clicked on the mob.

Long story short:
1. Click mob to attack from far away.
2. Disengage before your character reaches the mob.
3. The next time you are within melee range of the mob, your character will auto-engage it in battle.

Problems:
Bad for when you're exploring dangerous areas and accidentally left click a strong but passive mob. Your character will not be able to pass the mob on its adjacent squares without him/her attacking the mob against your intentions, probably causing your death.
redayz98
Green Wizard

Re: Mob engagement bug

Post by redayz98 »

Yes pretty annoying pls fix
Falbal
Baby Sapphire Dragon

Post by Falbal »

This is also pretty annoying when just running around. If you accidentally click on a monster, you have to remember to walk around it in order to not waste time fighting it the three times it takes before you are released again.
Cantus
Fire Imp

Post by Cantus »

If you're using the same path over and over (like when mining/woodcutting), you can "reset" the mob you engaged by clicking a monster somewhere else on the screen. One you won't pass. This resets your agro with the originally clicked mob.
Schw0in
Dark Orc

Post by Schw0in »

*bump* it's still this way
coolebeans
Griffin

Post by coolebeans »

What you have done is 'get that mobs attention' and clicking on an empty square to stop movement does stop your character but doesn't remove the attention. Fix I have used is to click a new mob some distance away that is not on the path I am taking and then clicking a square to stop that movement towards them. The new mob now has your attention and the first mob, the one on your path, will ignore you. Hope this helps.
YouTube channel Pascalore with RPG-MO beginner videos are no longer available pending rule changes.
Kieroni
Gray Wizard

Post by Kieroni »

I've been doing nothing but gathering lately, and this has been driving me crazy. Glad to see some ways to get around it, but please fix this soon.
2... 3... 1... Twenty-three is number one!
Cantus
Fire Imp

Post by Cantus »

I don't think this is something that needs to be "fixed" since its intended. If you don't want the mobs attention, either don't click the mob... or release its attention by clicking a different mob off in the distance.
whitetiger
Vampire

Post by whitetiger »

Cantus wrote:I don't think this is something that needs to be "fixed" since its intended. If you don't want the mobs attention, either don't click the mob... or release its attention by clicking a different mob off in the distance.
Agreed. You selected attack, so the command stands until you focus your attention on something else to do - walking is not doing.

This also goes the same for trees, mining etc with a tool in your hand. Don't click on it or keyboard move into it.

Problem solved